This recipe for California New Potato Salad is inspired by a restaurant in northern Sonoma County. Fresh new bright flavors you will love.
Today I’m sharing a California inspired new potato salad recipe. Have you ever been on a walking food tour? It seems to be a new trend. In fact, one of my sister’s requests for her birthday while we were in California, was to go on a foodie tour. So I set up one in Healdsburg, located in Northern Sonoma County, California. This tour was hosted by Tammy Gass, owner of Savor Healdsburg Food Tours. It was so much fun! We met atSHED, a market and cafe, offering a true farm to table experience. There we had a plate of delicious spreads and a unique potato salad, with apples and no mayo. So when my sister-in-law ask me to bring potato salad to their party, I tried to make a salad similar to the one we had at SHED.
California New Potato Salad Recipe
It’s funny how your memory works. Everyone seems to remember things a little differently. The first thing I did was to see if SHED had a recipe for the salad on their website. They do have recipes, but not one for potato salad. Next I asked my family to send me a pic of the salad, and I did my best to purchase similar ingredients
The one ingredient I added was pickled red onion. Originally I though it was in the recipe, but after looking at the picture I remember that they were served at a different restaurant. Still, I thought they would be nice, so I added them. All I did was heat up some of my husband’s pickled beet juice, and poured it over sliced onions. This gave them a subtle spicy flavor. It also took out some of the bite of raw onion, and boy did they ever look pretty.
I remembered the dressing was tangy and light, with no mayo. Also, the picture had some kind of red flecks of spice, so I use Mrs Dash’s Tomato and Garlic seasoning along with cider vinegar, grapeseed oil, sugar and a little Dijon, to make a dressing. I’m sure that SHED was not using Mrs Dash, and there’s no way that was red pepper flakes, so this is as close as I could get.
Overall it turned out pretty good and the process was really fun.
I hope you’ll try this one, and maybe put your own spin on it, for your next get together.
- 2 - 24 oz bags of mini colored potatoes - washed and cut in half
- 1/2 - medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 ribs celery, sliced thin
- 1/2 bunch of Frisee, about 1 cup, washed and torn from stem
- 1/2 gala apple, cored and sliced thin into bite sized piecesDressing
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Mrs Dash Tomato & Garlic seasoning
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of a whole lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Boil the potatoes until you can pierce them with a fork, about 10 mins. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In the meantime pour warm pickling liquid over onions.
- Combine potatoes, onions, apples, celery and frisee.
- Toss with dressing and chill until ready to serve.
You May Also Like: