Here's a super simple tasty cheesy garlic bread recipe you can serve with your favorite Italian meal or really as a side dish for any family dinner.
Many years ago we had some family visiting from out of town. We made my husband's famous spaghetti and meatball dinner and served cheesy garlic bread on the side. Our cousin has mentioned this bread a few times over the years and though it's pretty basic I thought I'd share it with you.
Making Italian Garlic Bread with Cheese
It starts with a basic fresh loaf of Italian bread. The grocery stores around here always have these in the bakery section. However, you can use something similar.
Freshly grated garlic is mixed with melted butter.
Tip: Make sure you remove any green stems that are starting to grow in your garlic or try not to use any garlic that has growth. It will make your butter taste bitter.
Next, slice the bread in half lengthwise and spread the garlic butter all over the top.
Add shredded cheese and a little grated Parmesan.
Place the bread under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and turn brown. This should only take about 5 minutes or less.
Options and Substitutions
Bread - I like traditional Italian but you can use French bread, baguettes or ciabatta bread.
Cheese - I usually used an Italian shredded cheese blend but you can use just mozzarella, provolone, asiago, or a mix of all three. You can also substitute the Parmesan with Romano cheese for a little more bite.
Toppings/Extras - For an added taste try adding a little dried oregano or basil on top. Or for those who like it spicy some red pepper flakes would be great too.
Slice up the bread and place it into a nice napkin-lined basket for serving. It makes quite a few slices but you know most people will want to eat more than one.
Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf of Italian Bread
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 large cloves of garlic grated
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese mix
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Combine grated garlic with melted butter.
- Slice Italian loaf in half lengthwise.
- Spread garlic butter over both pieces of bread.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over both pieces
- Follow with Parmesan cheese.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet under the broiler for 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice bread into 1.5-inch strips.
- Place slices of bread in a basket for serving.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.