Enjoy this chicken and rice slow cooker soup. A quick and easy recipe that you can put together early and serve for lunch or dinner in no time.
Comfort food, cure for a cold, hearty and warming, there's nothing like a good chicken soup. Though I do think if you have the time to make it from scratch similar to my mother-in-law's chicken pot pie you should.
However, a busy schedule shouldn't keep you from having great food for yourself and your family, so I often resort to the slow cooker.
This time it's chicken and rice slow cooker soup. I grew up eating a lot of rice dishes. However, you can add noodles when you take out the chicken to shred it and skip the rice if you want.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Slow Cooker Soup
Add all the vegetables to the bottom of your slow cooker.
Top them with boneless skinless chicken breasts seasoned with salt and black pepper and toss in a bay leaf for added flavor.
Add broth and cook on low for 4 hours.
Then remove the chicken and the bay leaf. Use two forks to shred the chicken and toss the bay leaf in the trash or compost bin.
Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the chopped fresh parsley.
Then serve it up in nice big bowls.
It's a delicious hearty and healthy dish you can feel good about eating any day of the week.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 1 cup carrots diced small
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 1/3 cup onion diced small
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 cup rice converted (parboiled)
- 2 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless approx 3 breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh flat leaf
- Place the carrots, onion, garlic, celery, and rice in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Set the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper on top of the chicken and add a bay leaf.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cover and set the slow cooker on low.
- After 4 hours remove the chicken and bay leaf.
- Discard the bay leaf and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Let cook for another 5 minutes and serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.