Learn how to make chicken pot pie which is not actually a pie at all but a stew-like one-pot meal from the Pennsylvania Dutch country.
I was fortunate enough to marry a wonderful man who grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country which an Italian mother and a father who was a chef. Sadly both are now deceased but we are reminded of them through extended family and our own children. One of the many recipes I have learned from my mother-in-law was her Chicken Pot Pie.
I know it’s not Italian but Millie could make just about anything and even though I grew up in Pittsburgh I had never had Chicken Pot Pie like this one. You see it wasn’t a pie, it was more of a stew, a delicious stew.
Millie’s Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
It’s not too difficult to make although I always struggle with rolling out the dough. My impatience gets the better of me and it’s usually a little too thick. And today I’m sharing it with you.
Over the years we’ve add green beans for color and a little healthy vegetable addition. On occasion Millie would make a baked chicken pot pie. I never got her recipe but I seemed to be pretty much the same but instead of boiling the dough in the shape of noodles, she would use the dough as a top to a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. I’ve never tried it because we love the original recipe.
What about you? Do you have any special family recipes? Have you ever had Chicken Pot Pie which wasn’t in a pie shell?
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 chicken cut into parts, (I often just buy parts)
- 4-5 ribs of celery - chopped
- 3 carrots - chopped
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 c flour
- ½ t salt
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ t . baking soda
- 2 eggs - slightly beaten
- 1 T softened butter
- 4 medium potatoes
- ½ bag frozen green beans
- Saute celery, carrot and onions in some vegetable oil in a large stock pot. Add chicken. Cover chicken with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 - 2 hours or until the chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove chicken from stock and let cool. Skim fat. Once chicken has cooled remove from bones and tear or chop into bite size pieces.
- Peel potatoes and chop into 1 inch cubes.
- To make the noodles mix together flour, salt, pepper and baking soda.
- Pour the flour mixture onto your counter. Make a well in the middle and the eggs and butter into the well. Fold the mixture together and add enough warm water until you can make a non-sticky dough ball.
- Cut the dough in half and roll it out until it is the size of a cookie sheet. Cut into 1-inch squares with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Bring stock back to a boil. Add potatoes. Add dough noodles one at a time by placing them where the bubbles are coming up. Stir in. Cook for 1/2 hour and then add in the chicken and green beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes and serve.
You May Also Like: