This cranberry pear galette is beautiful fall dessert, with an easy rustic foolproof crust that anyone can make.
Fresh cranberries have finally made it to the stores and I couldn’t wait to make something with them. I ended up going with a cranberry pear galette because both are in season and when you make a galette the crust is very forgiving and it also shows off the filling.
Sugar and cinnamon were added to the fruit but no cornstarch, lemon or other ingredients. I also left the skin on the pears. It added a nice color and since they were fresh the skin was thin and tasty.
A little egg wash made with one egg and a teaspoon of cream made this crust golden brown. I also added a sprinkle of sugar on top for added sparkle.
Cranberry Pear Galette
The final touch was a small heart made from some of the dough, placed in the center of the pie.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup) cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ice water (about 1/2 cup)
- 3-4 fresh pears cored and sliced, bosc or anjou
- 11/2 cup fresh cranberries (approx. 6 oz)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream (can substitute milk)
- Make the crust by mixing the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add butter and pulse
- Add ice water as the processor is mixing until the dough just comes together.
- Remove form into a flat ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile toss the cranberries, pear slices, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- After the dough has been refrigerated for one hour remove and roll out into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick circle or something close to a circle.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet and then pile up the filing in the middle of the dough.
- Then fold over the outside edges, about 2 inches.
- Brush with the egg wash and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.