This cranberry pear galette is beautiful fall dessert, with an easy rustic foolproof crust that anyone can make.
Fresh cranberries have finally made it to the stores and I couldn’t wait to make something with them. I ended up going with a cranberry pear galette because both are in season and when you make a galette the crust is very forgiving and it also shows off the filling.
Sugar and cinnamon were added to the fruit but no cornstarch, lemon or other ingredients. I also left the skin on the pears. It added a nice color and since they were fresh the skin was thin and tasty.
A little egg wash made with one egg and a teaspoon of cream made this crust golden brown. I also added a sprinkle of sugar on top for added sparkle.
Cranberry Pear Galette
The final touch was a small heart made from some of the dough, placed in the center of the pie.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup) cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ice water (about 1/2 cup)
- 3-4 fresh pears cored and sliced, bosc or anjou
- 11/2 cup fresh cranberries (approx. 6 oz)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream (can substitute milk)
- Make the crust by mixing the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add butter and pulse
- Add ice water as the processor is mixing until the dough just comes together.
- Remove form into a flat ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile toss the cranberries, pear slices, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- After the dough has been refrigerated for one hour remove and roll out into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick circle or something close to a circle.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet and then pile up the filing in the middle of the dough.
- Then fold over the outside edges, about 2 inches.
- Brush with the egg wash and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 182 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 16mg Sodium 97mg Carbohydrates 41g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 16g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g