This cranberry orange bread recipe is a great basic for the beginner cook. Great for gift giving in these pretty decorative paper loaf pans.
Homemade Cranberry Orange Bread
My daughter recently came to visit and brought a delicious chocolate chip banana bread. She told me that she was learning just how easy and fun quick bread was to make. This reminded me of a recipe for cranberry orange quick bread that I use to make, and since I found some fresh cranberries in the grocery store this week, I thought I'd make some for this week's recipe.
Quick bread is a lot like muffins. You simply mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, and then the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then you combine the two, making sure that you stir just enough to blend the two together, for the lightest and tastiest bread. This is one instance where my impatience is a good thing.
Cranberry Orange Bread as Gifts
Typically you can make this bread in a loaf pan, but I really like these disposable loaf pans, which allow you to give a delicious cranberry orange loaf as a beautiful and tasty gift.
These little loaves are wonderful to serve when you have guests, with coffee and tea in the morning, offering just the right amount of sweetness for a light breakfast.
Cranberry Orange Quickbread Alternatives
Of course, you could use a variety of different flavors in this same recipe.
- Lemon - Substitute lemon instead of orange.
- Apples - Cranapple is a great combination.
- Pears are in season too.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon or a dash of nutmeg.
It's all a matter of taste. Half the fun is experimenting and finding what you love.
- 2 cups chopped cranberries
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice and zest of one large orange
- 2 egg, beaten
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine cranberries, sugar, butter, vanilla, orange juice, orange zest and beaten eggs in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix slightly until all are just combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan or 2 paper loaf pans.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.