This delicata squash soup is a simple recipe to make. It's warm and creamy with a few spices that are perfect for the fall and winter seasons.
During the fall I almost always order butternut squash soup when it's on the menu. It's so creamy and warm. Perfect for a cool fall day.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
However, it wasn't until recently that I learned about delicata squash. It has a similar flavor to butternut, but it has a thin outer skin making it much easier to work with. In fact, just about the whole squash is edible.
Also, I started noticing it in the supermarket lately as it must have risen in popularity.
Here's what one looks like inside. The tender skin is so easy to cut through. If you ever tried to cut through a butternut squash then you know how tough it is.
I've read that you can roast the seeds. Next time I plan on doing just that.
I roasted my delicata squash first. However, you could use it raw too.
After about 30 minutes in the oven, the flesh is super easy to scoop out.
I sauteed some sweet onion first then added the squash, some lovely fall spices, and vegetable broth.
An immersion blender is a great tool and made this soup nice and creamy.
Swirl a bit of cream on top if you like.
Then drag a toothpick through the center and out to the edge around the spiral to make a spider web. Just in time for Halloween!
Delicata Soup Recipe
- 3 large delicata squash approx 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet onions diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- heavy cream for serving optional
- Wash and cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and place on a baking sheet.
- Rub on olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- Meanwhile saute onions in more olive oil in a large soup pot for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh of the delicata squash and add it to the pot along with the spices and vegetable broth.
- Stir well and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Serve in bowls with a little cream if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.