Butternut squash soup is super easy to make and contains only a few ingredients. Perfect any time of year to make you feel warm and cozy.
Even though I can probably purchase butternut squash throughout the year, there is something about fall that makes me think about cooking butternut squash. Also, the fact that it is fresh from the farmer's market, or better yet, your garden, makes this a perfect time to try this yummy, butternut squash soup recipe.
As I mentioned in my butternut squash pasta recipe, the hardest part is cutting the squash.
Here's a picture of how I cut mine. First cut off the top and bottom. Then cut into 3 or four pieces.
Now you have a nice flat base, that's not too tall, so you can slice off the hard outer coating of flesh. Using a very sharp knife, hold the squash with your left hand (if you are right-handed), and slice from the top down. Turn and slice again.
The bulb-like bottom is much like a pumpkin and has seed and fibrous tissue that you want to remove. I just scrape it out with a large spoon.
Now you can easily cut it into cubes and use as you wish.
Like this super easy soup recipe. Enjoy.
More Squash Recipes:
Easy Butternut Squash Soup with Pepitas
- 1 butternut squash approx. 7 cups, peeled, cleaned and cut into cubes
- 1 - 32 oz . container of chicken broth you can substitute vegetable broth
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1/4 c heavy cream optional
- roasted pepitas for garnish and adds a little crunch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions in a large pot for about 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the squash cubes and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and let simmer until the squash is fork tender.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or transfer the entire mixture into regular blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a small handful of roasted pepitas
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Leave a Reply