This DIY fall gnomes project is simple to create and makes a cheerful focal point for any fall mantel decor.
The colors of fall always warm my heart. Today I'm sharing a fun and easy craft for my fall mantel. Woodland Gnomes all dressed up for the autumn season.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- 3 pillar candles 3 x 6 inches any color
- 6 sheets felt in fall colors
- scrap felt in fall colors
- 3 wooden beads
- 12 inch strip of cream roving wool
A lot of these supplies I already had in my craft stash. Feel free to substitute whatever you like. For example, you could use some type of can from the pantry instead of candles like a tall soup can.
Also, you could use some burlap or fabric in coordinating patterns instead of felt for part or all of the gnomes to give them a unique design.
You could also use faux fur that is easily found at a craft store or yarn for the beards and they don't have to be white or cream.
This project starts with the body. Just fit the felt onto the candle and add a bead of hot glue to the edge to secure it.
Each gnome has a different color body and hat. Once, again you could change up the color or make them all the same.
Next, make hats in different colors by folding over the felt lengthwise into a cone shape. Use more hot glue to secure it in place. Give it a minute to dry and cut off the excess material.
Place some hot glue on the top of the candle felt and gently press the hats into place.
Next, I cut about a 3-4 inch section of roving wool and glued it just under the hat.
Use some scissors to shape the wool into a V or point to make a beard.
Then glue a wooden bead in the center below the brim of the hat. I used a wooden bead and let one of the holes show but you could place it differently or use something else like a pom-pom.
Lastly, I cut out a basic leaf shape in a few autumn colors and glued them to the hats. This is totally optional but I like the colorful look they provided.
Don't these little guys look great? You could display this fall gnome theme on a shelf or use it as a centerpiece for your fall table.
I placed them front and center of our family room mantel just below my homemade twig wreath. This woodland mantel is giving me all the warm and cozy feels of autumn.
DIY Fall Gnomes Craft
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wrap a sheet of felt around each candle and cut off the excess.
- Glue the edges with hot glue.
- Make a cone with 3 additional sheets of felt to create a hat shape and run a bead of hot glue down the length to secure. Then cut away the excess.
- Add a bead of hot glue to the top of the felt on each candle and attach one of the felt cones.
- Next, cut about 3-4 inches of the roving wool and hot glue each piece under the brim of the felt hat.
- Trim each piece of wool to a point.
- Hot glue one of the wood beads to the center of the wool just under the felt hat on each gnome.
- Finish by cutting two basic leaf shapes for each gnome out of different scrap felt and hot gluing them onto the hats.