Enjoy this tasty Greek pasta salad with a creamy homemade dressing. It's the perfect side dish for any party or picnic and good enough for an entire meal.
Pasta salads are always welcome at a party. Whether it's warm summer, winter, or any time of year, bringing a hearty side dish is helpful to the host and often goes with anything that's being served.
I made this Greek pasta salad for a large family party. It's really easy to make and though we served it as a side dish I know that it would be great to have for lunch or dinner. You could even add some protein such as grilled chicken or salmon if you like.
This recipe also includes a creamy Greek dressing. The creaminess comes from Greek yogurt. I only used half of the recipe to start as this salad was made earlier in the day and refrigerated. Before dinner was served the remaining dressing was tossed in.
This concept works well because you want the salad to soak up some of the dressing but not too much. The pasta will soak up the dressing over time so added additional dressing at the end ensures that there will be enough to keep it from tasting dry.
What Kind of Pasta Should You Use?
I like to use a short pasta shape for a couple of reasons. One, a portion of short pasta is easier to serve when you are having a large group of people. Two, short pasta, especially one like this campanelle, holds the dressing and cheese well making sure that you get a lot of goodness in every bite.
Other good pasta options are farfalle, fusilli, orecchiette, even rotini.
You can substitute items in this recipe pretty easily. It's all up to your taste.
- Kalamata Olives - Black olives
- Grape Tomatoes - Fresh plum or cherry tomatoes cut up
- Gherkin cucumbers - English cucumber. You can use standard cucumbers. Peel them and remove the softer center leaving only the firm flesh for the salad.
- Red Onion - Sweet onions would work fine.
- Feta Cheese - Gorgonzola cheese or a hard Ricotta Salata
Tangy, fresh, and colorful, this Greek pasta salad was so good. I'm definitely going to make it again soon.
- 1 pound of small pasta such as campanelle, rotini or fusilli.
- 2 small gherkin cucumbers or a large English cucumber diced (1 cup)
- 1.5 cups of grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 red onion diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olive cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsely
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (whole milk)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta to al dente and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking chop up all the ingredients.
- Combine the pasta with the vegetables, cheese, and olives.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing together in a separate bowl.
- Pour half the dressing over the pasta mix and stir.
- When you are ready to serve add the remaining dressing and toss well.
This is a great one to make ahead and that's why the dressing is double. The pasta will soak up the dressing while in the refrigerator. Simply add the remaining dressing when you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.