This healthy side dish of greens and grains recipe is a great addition to any family meal and is the perfect pot luck dish to bring to the party.
I found a really good frozen meal that I love eating for lunch or a light dinner. It's a power bowl from Healthy Choice called Adobo Chicken. It's so good! I decided to try and make something similar without chicken for a healthy greens and grains side dish.
I made a similar power grain bowl dish in the past, but this is more of a family or party side dish. Perfect for the holidays or a pot luck dinner. However, it would be great as a meal on its own. Feel free to add some chicken or other protein to the dish if you'd like.
Green and Grains Power Recipe
The original recipe definitely has a bit of a kick to it so I knew I needed to make a spicy sauce or dressing for the greens and grains. The original uses spicy guajillo chili, however, I used a hot paprika and cumin, combined with a bit of tomato paste and a few other ingredients for a great southwest taste.
Variations on this Greens and Grains Recipes
Type of Healthy Greens to Use in this Power Bowl
- Collard Greens
- Dandelion greens
- Beet tops
- Swiss Chard
Types of Grains to Use in the Power Bowl
- Brown Rice
Other Ingredient Options
- Switch up the beans. Use black beans, chickpeas, or great northern beans
- Instead of pumpkin kernels try sunflower seed kernels
- Add roasted corn, peppers, or tomatoes to the mix
- Add some chopped fresh herbs
It's a fresh healthy and delicious side dish that everyone can feel good about eating. And, it's versatile enough to make it just the way you like.
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- 10 oz. bag of baby kale leaves
- 5 oz. bag of baby spinach leaves
- 2 plum tomatoes diced
- 1 15.5 oz. can of pinto beans
- 1 cup pumpkin seed kernels
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of hot paprika
- Saute kale in olive oil until reduced in size. Add spinach, garlic, and tomatoes and stir for an additional minute or two.
- Remove from heat and add in rice, beans, and pumpkin seed kernels.
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl.
- Pour over greens and grains and toss well
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.
Have fun experimenting with different greens like swiss chard, collard, or cabbage. Try out grains like quinoa, barley, or couscous.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 10gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.