Try this crunchy, tangy, and refreshing Mexican street corn salad this summer. It makes a great addition to any meal.
Today we have the ever-increasingly popular Mexican Street Corn aka Elote is re-purposed into a salad. This recipe has all the same flavors but it's presented in an easy to serve and carry format. It's similar to my grilled corn and avocado salad with a few different ingredients.
One of the keys is grilling the corn. It takes several minutes depending on your grill but the result is a nice smoky flavor that really makes the dish.
Now that you have grilled the corn you combine it with fresh crunchy flavors of red onion, red pepper, jalapenos and a little fresh cilantro.
Note: You could use Italian parsley or basil if you don't like cilantro. Also, feel free to use sweet onions or different kinds of peppers in this dish.
It wouldn't be a salad without the dressing. This one has traditional Mexican flavors of cumin, fresh lime juice, hot paprika, and some garlic. I also added a little sour cream. Many Mexican street corn recipes include mayo to help the other ingredients stick to the ears of corn, but I think the sour cream was a good substitution for a salad.
The final key ingredient for this recipe is traditional Cotija cheese. I found it in a bag in our supermarket. However, if you cannot find this cheese try using feta. It has a very similar texture and flavor.
A great party dish, this yummy Mexican street corn salad is one that you can make ahead. Just keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
That's a bonus in my book.
- 10 ears of corn (approx 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed)
- 1.5 cups Cotija cheese (7 oz bag)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes and zest of one (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- Lightly coat ears of corn with olive oil.
- Place them on the grill, turning until all sides are slightly darkened.
- Remove corn from grill, let cool, and cut off kernels.
- Combine corn kernels, onions, peppers, and cilantro into a large bowl. Mix well
- In a separate bowl make the dressing by combining olive oil, lime juice, and zest, sour cream, cumin, paprika, and garlic.
- Pour dressing over corn mixture. Mix well.
- Add Cotija cheese last and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
Many people substitute feta cheese for Cotija.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.