Have fun creating these delicious mini cheese balls with a tasty cream cheese base and a number of yummy toppings to coat them in. They are perfect for any occasion and look extra festive too.
This is one of those easy appetizers that's fun to make because it's not only delicious but it looks beautiful on the serving plate too.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
What You'll Need
- cream cheese softened
- Gouda cheese (shredded)
- lemon juice and zest
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- hot sauce
- Coatings/Toppings - paprika, parsley, dill, toasted sesame seeds, chopped pecans
Making Mini Cheese Balls
Mix up the cream cheese base with all the seasonings in a food processor. However, if you get the cream cheese nice and soft you could stir this by hand if you don't have a food processor.
The cream cheese mixture then needs to be placed in the refrigerator to harden so that it will form nice balls.
You could use a teaspoon or a cookie scoop for each cheese ball. Roll them in the palms of your hands until they are a fairly round small ball.
The toppings or coatings can come in many forms. One of my favorites is toasted sesame seeds. All you need to do is place the seeds in a non-stick pan and heat them for about 3 minutes all the while shaking them around until they are golden brown on all sides.
Other Topping or Coating Options
- Parmesan or Romano grated cheese
- Chopped pistachios, or walnuts
- Black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or everything spice blend
- Chopped bacon or dried cranberries
Use pretty toothpicks or something like a pretzel stick to serve the mini cheese balls.
They are so colorful and festive looking. Great for a holiday party or anytime you are having people over. Dinner parties, cocktail parties, awards night parties, holidays, or just for the heck of it.
- 2 pkgs cream cheese softened (8 oz)
- 1.5 cups of Gouda cheese (shredded)
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- toasted sesame seeds
- chopped pecans
- Combine softened cream cheese, shredded gouda, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, and onion powder, thyme, and hot sauce in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove cheese mixture from the food processor into a mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take the cheese mixture out of the refrigerator and start making 1 inch balls with a cookie scoop or a teaspoon and then roll it in your hands.
- Set out small bowls with the toppings in each such as parsley, dill, and toasted sesame seeds.
- Roll the cheese ball in the toppings to coat.
- Use a toothpick or pretzel stick and insert it into each cheese ball.
- Place the coated balls on a serving tray in a pleasing order.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
You can use all kinds of spices or chopped nuts for the topping coat. Used chopped bacon or dried fruit like cranberries too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 44Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.