This recipe for sweet potato and black bean dip rounds makes an elegant appetizer to serve at a party. It is easy to prepare and can be adapted as you wish.
This recipe for sweet potato and black bean dip rounds was inspired by a Cuban restaurant in Florida. My sister and I stopped in this cute little restaurant in Florida. We ordered a plantain appetizer that was pretty and delicious, and I thought it would be great to make something similar for the blog.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Dip Rounds
I was worried that plantains may be difficult to find, so I chose sweet potatoes as the base.
These are the ingredients, but feel free to switch them up. For example, you could use white beans instead of black. Toppings such as guacamole or sour cream, and any cheese you like.
Consider making extra of this black bean dip. You can place some of it in a baking dish, topped with a Mexican cheese blend and bake. Then serve the baked dip with tortilla chips. Now you have two appetizers.
You can brush the olive oil on the sweet potato rounds, or simply toss them in a bowl.
Bake them in a single layer in the oven.
One thing I like about this recipe is using just one cilantro leaf, and one thin slice of jalapeno.
They look great and are easily removed, for those who do not like cilantro or cannot handle the spicy nature of jalapenos.
You can also make the dip and roast the rounds ahead of time. Then warm them up, before assembling the final product when you are ready to serve.
A simple, tasty, and elegant appetizer to serve your guests.
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne, less if you don't want it too spicy
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes, yams
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup shaved or shredded Manchego cheese
- 2-3 fresh jalapenos, very thinly sliced
- handful cilantro leaves
- In a food process make the black bean dip by starting with the garlic and process.
- Add the black beans, lime juice, cumin, cayenne and oil and process until smooth. Set aside
- In a large bowl toss sweet potato slices in olive oil
- Arrange on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes on each side.
- Remove and let cool.
- Arrange the appetizer by spooning on a little bit of the black bean dip on top of the sweet potatoes, following by some Manchego cheese, a leaf of cilantro and a jalapeno slice.
This recipe made about 2 dozen rounds with some of the dip leftover.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.