This wild rice seafood salad with crabmeat and shrimp is perfect for a ladies luncheon, shower or a delicious summertime meal.
Here's another throwback recipe we often made for baby or bridal showers. Back then we often held these showers in our homes. Now, many showers are coed. However, back then it was more of a ladies only event where this cold wild rice and seafood salad was a big hit.
I used Trader Joe's Basmati & Wild Rice Medley this time but any rice mix would work. I like using wild rice mixes because they typically have added seasoning for extra flavor.
A large dollop of the salad looks beautiful on a bed of colorful lettuce and some ripe tomatoes. This plate has red butter lettuce and Campari tomatoes cut into wedges. Of course, you could use romaine and heirloom cherry tomatoes or any combination you like.
The recipe calls for raw medium shrimp but I think that you could get away with cooked shrimp in a pinch. Also, I could not find medium shrimp so I used large raw shrimp and cut them in half.
Similarly, the crabmeat here is lump canned crabmeat because fresh is almost never available in our area. It would be fabulous if it was. That being said, I don't think it is necessary to buy jumbo crab. And, you might get away with using "special" crabmeat.
Not planning showers or ladies luncheons? This delicious cold seafood salad is great anytime, especially during the summer on a hot day.
- 3/4 pound unpeeled medium shrimp
- 1.5 cups cooked wild rice mix
- 16 oz can of crab meat drained
- 1/2 cup English peas
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- Juice and zest of one large lemon
- Lettuce leaves and tomatoes for garnish
- Boil water then add shrimp and cook just until pink about 3 minutes.
- Remove, rinse in cold water, peel and devein.
- Combine all ingredients except mayo, lemon juice and zest.
- Toss well then fold in mayo and lemon juice/zest.
- Scoop onto a bed of lettuce with wedges of tomatoes to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g