If you are trying to add more fish into your diet, this recipe is a great one that everyone will love. I make this dish almost every week. You don’t need to go out to have restaurant quality fish tacos at home. And, these are simple fish tacos, so there is not a lot of prep, or cook time involved.
Simple Fish Tacos
There are several choices and combinations when making fish taco.
In this picture I’ve used tilapia filets, that were quickly pan fried in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. However, I have often used frozen breaded cod or some other white fish. I like to choose a white fish because I feel like it pairs well with the other bold flavors.
A key ingredient for our fish tacos is the slaw. If I can, I’ll pick up a bag of angel slaw, which is finely shredded cabbage, perfect for fish tacos. If not, I have to slice up my own head of cabbage with a sharp knife, shaving off thin slices from different angles.
Other ingredients we like are salsa, lime juice and fresh cilantro. Okay, I like cilantro, my husband does not. You can substitute the cilantro with flat leaf parsley or leave it out. The final key ingredient is the crema. I make this by mixing sour cream with lime juice until it is thin enough to pour. Then I add a dash of sriracha sauce, but that’s totally optional. We also like flour tortillas, but corn would work just as well. Wrap them in foil and place them in the oven to warm up while you prepare everything else.
Make it fun by creating a buffet of different toppings so everyone can choose their favorites. This is great for a small get together with friends or family, or an easy and healthy go-to dinner during the week.
- Fresh or frozen white fish fillets
- Fish Taco Slaw
- 2 T cider vinegar
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 t sugar
- 3 T vegetable oil
- Fish Taco Crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- approx 1/8 cup lime juice
- dash of Sriracha
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in a warm oven to heat while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Toss with cabbage dressing and let sit for 20 minutes, mixing once or twice.
- Combine sour cream and lime juice until the mixture is thin enough to pour. Mix in sriracha.
- Cook fish on the stove or in the oven.
- Serve with warm tortillas, slaw and crema.
- Add other ingredients as you wish such as fresh lime, cilantro, salsa, jalapenos, radishes, etc..