Easy fish tacos with slaw is a great go-to dinner idea. Serve buffet style and let everyone choose their toppings. It's a great way to add more fish to your diet.
If you are trying to add more fish into your diet, this recipe is a great one that everyone will love. I make this dish almost every week. You don't need to go out to have restaurant quality fish tacos at home. And, these are simple fish tacos, so there is not a lot of prep, or cook time involved.
Making Fish Tacos with Slaw
There are several choices and combinations when making a fish taco.
I've used tilapia filets, that were quickly pan fried in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. However, I have often used frozen breaded cod or some other white fish. I like to choose a white fish because I feel like it pairs well with the other bold flavors.
A key ingredient for our fish tacos is the slaw. If I can, I'll pick up a bag of angel slaw, which is finely shredded cabbage, perfect for fish tacos. If not, I have to slice up my own head of cabbage with a sharp knife, shaving off thin slices from different angles.
Other ingredients we like are salsa, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. Okay, I like cilantro, my husband does not. You can substitute the cilantro with flat leaf parsley or leave it out.
The final key ingredient is the crema. I make this by mixing sour cream with lime juice until it is thin enough to pour. Then I add a dash of sriracha sauce, but that's totally optional.
We also like flour tortillas, but corn would work just as well. Wrap them in foil and place them in the oven to warm up while you prepare everything else.
Make it fun by creating a buffet of different toppings so everyone can choose their favorites. This is great for a small get-together with friends or family, or an easy and healthy go-to dinner during the week.
Easy Fish Tacos with Slaw
- Fresh or frozen white fish fillets
Fish Taco Slaw
- 2 cups angel slaw
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Fish Taco Crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- approx 1/8 cup lime juice
- dash of Sriracha
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place them in a warm oven to heat while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Toss cabbage with vinegar, lime, sugar, and vegetable oil and let sit for 20 minutes, mixing once or twice.
- Combine sour cream and lime juice until the mixture is thin enough to pour. Mix in sriracha.
- Cook fish on the stove or in the oven.
- Serve with warm tortillas, slaw, and crema.
- Add other ingredients as you wish such as fresh lime, cilantro, salsa, jalapenos, radishes, etc..
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.