This stuffed banana pepper dip recipe has the same flavors as a stuffed banana pepper appetizer in a fancy restaurant.
One of my husband’s favorite restaurant appetizers is stuffed banana peppers. So when we were going to a party I thought I’d try making a dip out of the same ingredients.
For this dip I charred the peppers first. That gave them a nice smoky flavor.
All you have to do is hold the pepper over an open flame on the stove with tongs turning slowly until it starts to blister all over. If you don’t have a gas stove you could grill the peppers instead.
Or, if you want, you can skip this step, and I’m pretty sure the dip will still taste great.
Sometimes the restaurant will give you some bread to go with the stuffed banana peppers. This is why I served slices of french baguette which is easy to find at the bakery section of the grocery store. And, I like the fact that bread is great for absorbing the hot oil from these spicy peppers.
What to Serve with Stuffed Banana Pepper Dip
- sliced baguette or Italian bread
- tortilla scoops
- pita chips or bread wedges
- Try using a different meat. Ground beef, hot Italian sausage or even chorizo.
- Mix up the cheeses. Try fresh mozzarella, and/or adding grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Switch out the marinara. Use tomato sauce, and adding in some fresh basil and oregano.
It’s spicy, hearty, warm and cheesy. Great party food that will be gobbled up in no time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large clove garlic - grated
- 5 large hot banana peppers ~ 1 cup
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Hold peppers over a flame or place on a grill to char.
- Chop peppers removing ends, rib and seeds.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for about a minute.
- Add sausage and brown for another minute
- Add peppers and continue to saute until they are wilted.
- Add marinara and mix well.
- Add cheese reserving a handful (1/4 cup) for the top.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Place under broiler to melt cheese.
- Serve with baguette slices, chips or crackers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g