This recipe for a stuffed chicken breast with asparagus and cheese is pretty simple to make and a great way to elevate a basic chicken dinner.
When my girls were little one of their favorite things to eat they called "chicken with the green stuff." Sadly, it wasn't something I made but a frozen stuffed chicken breast with asparagus and cheese.
I don't know what made me think of it after all this time, but I thought I might try making some myself.
In this version, I'm making a pocket in the breast to stuff but you could pound out the chicken and roll up the filling before breading.
I used a mozzarella and provolone shredded cheese blend. However, I think the original might have had Swiss cheese in the stuffing. I recommend using the microwave to partially cook the asparagus first. Or blanch it on the stove in some water. Save the rest to serve on the side.
Use a wooden skewer to hold the pocket closed so that you can easily bread the chicken breast. You could wrap them in plastic and stick them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes at this stage, but it's not necessary.
Bread the stuffed chicken breasts by coating them first in flour. Then dip them into an egg wash and finish with Panko bread crumbs. Regular breadcrumbs are fine too but I love the crispiness of Panko.
Then pan fry in olive oil for a few minutes on each side until they are golden. If you look close you can see that the center of the chicken is still raw. That's why you need to finish them in the oven.
Just 20 minutes or so in a hot oven will allow them to cook through. Then you will have a delicious stuffed chicken breast dinner that the whole family will love.
Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella and Provolone cheese
- 4 asparagus spears - blanched and cup up
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 eggs plus 2 T milk for egg wash
- 1 cup flour with salt and pepper
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- large wooden toothpicks or skewers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Soak skewers in warm water.
- Combine diced asparagus and shredded cheese in a bowl.
- Make a small pocket in the chicken breast by slicing from the thinner side into the thicker side of the breast with a small knife.
- Fill with the asparagus and cheese mixture.
- Use a wooden skewer or large wooden toothpick to hold keep the pocket closed.
- Bread the chicken first in the flour, then the egg wash and followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Brown the chicken on each side until it is golden about 2 minutes each.
- Transfer to a baking dish and cook in the over for 20 minutes.