This asparagus casserole recipe is very simple to make. It’s rich and creamy and makes the perfect side dish for any special event.
Whenever possible I like to cook with seasonal produce, even though there are many that appear in the grocery store year round. Spring is the perfect time to make an asparagus casserole. A good side dish for Easter, birthdays and graduation parties.
This casserole is similar to the spinach casserole, I’ve made in the past, with a creamy base, cheese, and panko topping. This time, however, I’m using creme fraiche inside of making a cheese sauce with butter, flour, and milk or cream. The creme fraiche is extra rich, but you could substitute sour cream or even yogurt. Personally, I would stick to Greek yogurt and a full-fat sour cream to get a similar taste.
I used Jarlsberg cheese but any cheese would work. I like the combination of a slightly sharper cheese with the creamy base. Something like mozzarella would, in my opinion, make it too bland. However, Parmesan, Romano, or a nice white cheddar would all be great substitutes and are readily available. This is a great opportunity to experiment with some of the newer cheese options that are showing up in stores more and more.
Finally, I’m a big fan of Panko breadcrumbs but you could substitute regular breadcrumbs, crushed crackers, or dare I say potato chips. I’ve never tried potato chips as a topping, but know others that use them, and they do seem like an interesting alternative.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic grated
- 7.5 ounces creme fraiche (3/4 c)
- 1 cup Jarlsberg cheese grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Clean and slice asparagus into 2 inch pieces
- Saute onions and asparagus in olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for another minute on medium heat.
- In a separate bowl combine creme fraiche, Jarlsberg cheese and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add asparagus mixture to the creme and cheese. Mix well
- Transfer to a 8 inch butter casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Panko breadcrumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.