On Thanksgiving my husband made the turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry relish. The rest was up to me. Mashed potatoes were a given, and we always like having rolls and salad. Still, I felt like we needed to serve another green vegetable, so I made a spinach casserole with cheesy panko breadcrumbs.
My daughter always loved Boston Market’s creamed spinach, and I have tried to make it, but it’s just not the same. Instead, I experimented with a little cream in the spinach, and added a nice cheesy toasted bread crumb topping.
Crunchy and Cheesy Spinach Casserole
This is similar to the Spinach Artichoke Appetizer I made a while back. There’s something about spinach and panko bread crumbs that makes them a great match. You could use regular bread crumbs, but I enjoy the lighter, crunchier texture of the panko.
A spinach casserole with cream, butter, cheese and bread crumbs is hardly low in calories but it does have good nutritional value and goes great with turkey. I know everyone that came to our table liked it and there was only a tiny bit leftover which was quickly eaten the next day.
Here’s the Recipe:
- 2 - 1 pound bags frozen chopped spinach - thawed and drained
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup butter melted, 1 stick
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a large pan, on medium heat for a few minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.
- Add spinach and salt and pepper.
- Stir and continue to saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and combine well.
- Remove from heat and pour into a baking dish, approx. 9 x 11 inches
- In a separate bowl combine melted butter, Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Stir until combined.
- Spread over spinach.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
You May Also Like: