This sweet potato and carrot soup recipe is simple to make. It's a great healthy, tasty side dish or light meal on any given day of the week.
I was served carrot soup at a conference and I've always wanted to try making it at home. However, when it came down to it I decided to add sweet potatoes and some fresh ginger to liven up the taste.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Making Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
What You Need
- Sweet Potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
This reminds me of making mashed potatoes because you are basically boiling the vegetables to mash later.
Once the carrots are fork tender you know that they are ready to puree.
Also, this is the time when I stirred in the ginger. I wanted it to be fresh and bright and not cooked into the soup.
Then I used an immersion blender. However, you could also transfer the entire pot into a Vitamix or other blender and blend it that way.
We all know that carrots are a great source of vitamin A. However, did you know that they also are a source of Vitamin C and calcium? And sweet potatoes have even more of the same and other benefits such as manganese, potassium, B6, and more.
Addition and Substitutions
I really feel like this soup can be adapted in so many ways.
- Don't like ginger, leave it out. Or replace it with another favorite spice such as fresh thyme.
- Too mild? Add some cayenne or red pepper flakes to kick up the heat.
- Substitute regular potatoes for the sweet potatoes or try other combinations of root vegetables such as butternut squash and parsnips.
The creaminess of the pureed vegetables with an extra kick of fresh ginger really made this soup delicious. And we could feel good about it too.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup Recipe
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 pound carrots peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves grated
- 4 cups of chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Saute onions, salt, and pepper in olive oil in a large pot for about 3 - 5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds stirring to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Then add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Add the ginger.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is nice and smooth. You could also transfer the soup to a blender to blend.
- Serve immediately in small bowls or allow it to cool and ladle it into an airtight container before placing it in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Leave a Reply