Try my take on Arayes. A yummy lunch, snack, or appetizer recipe made with grilled pitas stuffed with beef, Middle Eastern seasonings, and pine nuts.
My Lebanese grandmother used to make these delicious meat pies. They are a sort of beef or lamb savory pastry dish. The filling is pretty easy but the dough takes some time. I've used this same filling in my stuffed acorn squash recipe and today I'm using it again.
Technically, Arayes are made with Kafta, a sort of Lebanese hamburger kebab made with beef or ground lamb, onion, garlic, fresh parsley, and spices. They even stuff the pitas with raw kafta meat and then cook the Arayes on a grill and sometimes bake them in the oven. I've also seen it called Abaric street food.
Looking at them I decided to marry my love for meat pie filling and the idea of stuffing and grilling pita pockets.
These stuffed pitas are pretty simple and can be eaten as a meal, a snack, or a party appetizer.
I used an indoor grill but you could certainly use your outdoor grill for this recipe.
It's no surprise that I loved them. I already loved the filling and stuffing it into pita bread and then grilling it was just extra deliciousness. I hope you give them a try and enjoy them as much as I did.
- 3 pita pockets (6 inches)
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts - toasted
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 3 - 5 minutes or until soft and slightly translucent.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add ground beef and brown well.
- Remove from heat and add toasted pine nuts and sour cream. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half then brush olive oil on the outside.
- Fill each one with the meat mixture.
- Place on the grill pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side using a spatula to press the pita on the pan.
- Remove and cut into wedges.
You can serve these with yogurt for dipping if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 303mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.