Here's a healthier dessert option that uses zucchini, applesauce, and non-fat yogurt to make a delicious chocolate zucchini bread.
I don't grow many edibles but everyone I know that grows zucchini around here is inundated with them. My brother-in-law just gave me some so I thought it would be fun to create a healthy version of chocolate zucchini bread.
Besides using zucchini in this dish, I used applesauce instead of oil and I added non-fat Greek yogurt to add protein and moisture to the cake. Only a small amount of brown sugar is added and the chocolate chips are 60% cacao.
One of the keys to this dish is getting the excess moisture out of the zucchini. You can let it sit out for a while and use paper towels or a kitchen towel to help absorb the liquid.
Since I wasn't using any oil (applesauce instead), I wanted to add some chocolate chips throughout the bread. Tossing them in a little flour will help keep them from sinking during baking. However, I also added them in layers to make sure.
This non-stick loaf pan probably didn't need it but I went ahead and greased and floured it just to make sure the bread came out easily.
Tip: Don't forget to reserve some chocolate chips to decorate the top.
Can You Freeze this Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
I did end up freezing slices of this bread. Each slice was wrapped tightly in plastic and then wrapped slices were placed in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer. Now I can pull out one or two slices and defrost them in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It's not as good as the fresh from the oven bread but it's a nice way to have a portion controlled snack on any given day.
You can't really taste the zucchini in this bread but it does add some nice fiber and extra nutrients.
So when you are given lots of zucchini or growing it yourself, take the savory and make something sweet.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini squeezed well to remove liquid
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips 60% cacao
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease and flour a bread loaf pan
- Toss the chocolate chips in a bowl with a bit of flour
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix the egg, zucchini, applesauce, yogurt, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in 1/3 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Pour the remaining batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.