Learn how to make a gardening apron by recycling old jeans. It's an easy DIY project that will help you as you work in the garden with your favorite tools at your fingertips.
If you liked my Garden Bucket Toolbelt post then you may also love this easy recycled jean gardening apron.
In fact, it's a lot easier to make.
I used parts of three pairs of my own old jeans but you could use thrifted jeans too.
How to Make an Apron Out of Jeans
First, cut out the back of a pair of jeans, a couple of inches below the pockets, and include the waistband. (see image above)
Repeat with the second pair of jeans.
Next cut out just the two pockets on the backside of the 3rd pair of jeans.
Fold over the raw edge twice and pin in place to the sides and bottoms of your apron pieces.
Then use a straight stitch to finish the edges.
Next, pin the extra pocket in between the two pockets, and sew it in place. This will make a deeper pocket to hold thicker items.
Now you should have two pieces that look like the image above.
Attach them together by cutting down one side of the waistband on each piece and overlapping them about 1.5 inches.
Sew together with a square, followed by an X to secure the two together.
Place that part of the apron in the back and use the two longer pieces of the waistband in the front as a tie. Knot or double knot them together as tightly as you need until the apron feels right.
As an extra alternative step, you could add D rings to one side of the front ties. Then you would be able to use them more like a belt.
I think it's perfect for the garden but you could also use it as a denim work apron for cleaning the house or any DIY project you encounter.
How to Make a Garden Apron out of Jeans
- 1 pair of scissors
- Sewing Machine
- coordinating thread
- 3 pairs old jeans
- Cut the back side out of two pairs of jeans including the two pockets and the entire waistband.
- Cut two pockets out of the third pair of jeans.
- Turn under and sew the raw side and bottom edges of both jeans with pockets and waistbands.
- Pin the extra pockets in between the two pockets then sew in place.
- Cut one side of the waistband to about 3 inches on each piece.
- Overlap the two short waistbands about 1.5 inch and pin together.
- Sew the pinned pieces together making a square with an X in the middle to keep it secure.
- Fit the apron on your body with the overlapped short piece in the back and the longer waistbands in front to act as ties.