This brownie ice cream cake recipe is a great make ahead easy dessert. And it's versatile enough that you can make it your own by choosing your favorite ice cream flavor and adding in all kinds of interesting mix-ins to the batter.
I made this easy ice cream brownie cake for a family dinner. My sister also brought over a nice tray of cookies, but I just had to serve something in addition for dessert. It was last minute, but I couldn't believe how easy and yummy this dessert turned out.
You've probably ordered a brownie cake with ice cream before. That was my inspiration for this yummy ice cream cake with a brownie base. After all, brownies and ice cream are perfect together.
Using a large lasagna pan I made a simple box of brownie mix with the addition of chopped walnuts, and bittersweet chocolate chips. I never noticed the bittersweet chocolate chips before. In fact, I was amazed at all the different kinds of chip flavors that were available.
Cake Variation Ideas
- Use different chip varieties, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, traditional semi-sweet chocolate chips, and more.
- Use different kinds of nuts such as; peanuts, pecans, almond slivers, macadamia nuts.
- Try different candy bar add-ins such as mini Reese's cups or mint chocolate bar pieces.
- Use a different ice cream flavor. Make it all chocolate or try strawberry or any flavored ice cream you love.
- Mix up the toppings and use chopped maraschino cherries, raspberry jam, peanuts, hot fudge sauce, sprinkles.
Once the brownie batter layer cooled I spread two containers of vanilla ice cream on top. Yes, you could use a different flavored ice cream here too.
The top ice cream layer is decorated with crushed chocolate cookie wafers and drizzled salted caramel sauce. Yet another place where you can get creative and make it your own. How about chocolate sauce, watered-down raspberry jam, the possibilities are endless.
Two of my other favorite things about this recipe; you get to make it ahead, and it tastes great leftover.
- Box brownie mix plus ingredients per package, 2-3 eggs, vegetable oil
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup bittersweet chips
- 2 containers vanilla ice cream - softened, approx 1.75 quarts each
- 1/2 cup chocolate wafer cookies crushed, optional
- 2 Tablespoons - salted caramel sauce
- Mix brownie mix eggs, water and vegetable oil per the package directions.
- Add in the nuts and bittersweet chips and stir until combined
- Butter your baking dish to prevent sticking.
- Pour into a deep large baking pan.
- Cook per directions on brownie box.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the brownie mix has cooled and the ice cream is soft, spread it onto the brownie layer.
- Top with crushed cookies and drizzle caramel sauce.
- Cover with foil and place into refrigerator until firm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.