This recipe for lemon chicken salad is rich, creamy and bright. Perfect on a bed of lettuce, or on your favorite roll.
When I was growing up we had a little market in our suburban neighborhood. They made the best potato and chicken salad. My husband's potato salad comes pretty close, but I have yet to find a similar chicken salad.
My version has lots of lemon and some fresh thyme too. However, one of the key ingredients is cream cheese, which makes it extra creamy and decadent. This is one thing I could remember from that yummy market chicken salad. I also used mayo, but sour cream could have worked just as well.
Serve it on a bed of lettuce or your favorite roll. Go to town with a croissant for an elegant brunch or lunch with the girls. This would also be great to serve at a baby or bridal shower hosted at your own home.
More Salad Recipes:
Creamy Lemon Chicken Salad
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the chicken breasts by placing them in a large pot filled with cold water. Add salt, pepper and whatever other seasoning you may have on hand. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Once the chicken has cooled a bit. Hand shred and chop.
- Place cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice, zest, and spices in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the chicken and pulse just a few times to incorporate into the sauce.
- Remove and serve on rolls or salad, or refrigerate. Make about 2 cups.
You had me at lemons, Patti! Oh, how I love anything with a squeeze or two! Thank you so much for sharing your chicken salad! I'll definitely be whipping up a batch this weekend!
Yay! I hope you love it CD.
Thank you for sharing this, I've been trying to think of something I can make ahead of time for lunch that we could eat for a couple of days and Chicken salad slipped my mind. With Lemon it sounds amazing. This will be on the menu next week... YUM!
Thanks Carole. It should be a great one for several days and I don't know why I don't make it more often. My other favorite that is similar is tuna salad with hard boiled eggs.
That looks delicious! I love lemon in everything lately so this is right up my alley. I'm also on a low carb diet and I think this recipe would be low carb too!
Thanks Denise. It's perfect for low carb eating. Enough creaminess and the lemon gives it added flavor.