I’ve been trying to cut the carbs, like so many, for overall health, and to fight the battle of the bulge. Summer is great because there are so many healthy options available, with fresh foods and veggies, but there are also a lot of parties to attend, with many tempting treats. So when I was thinking of something to bring to my niece’s birthday party, I wanted to bring something that everyone would love,and something low carb.
The idea of some kind of stuffed mushrooms came to me first. I had a couple of ripe avocados that needed to be used soon, so I made an avocado cream to stuff the mushrooms. They looked a little bland so I topped them with bacon crumbles. For this recipe I used baby portobella mushrooms but I’m sure white ones would work just as well.
They were a big hit at the party and I would definitely make them again.
|Low Carb Mushrooms Stuffed with Avocado Cream|| |
- 2 pkgs of baby portabella mushrooms (approx. 2 doz)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of one lime
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ pound bacon cooked and finely chopped or crumbled
- Clean mushrooms by removing stems and wiping away any dirt.
- Toss mushrooms in olive oil.
- Bake 350 degree oven cap side down for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and place on paper towels to drain.
- Place garlic and avocados in a food processor.
- Add lime juice and blend.
- Add cream and blend again.
- Place avocado cream mixture in a plastic baggie.
- Cut the corner and fill each mushroom cap.
- Top with some bacon crumbles.