Try this easy meatloaf meatball recipe that's perfect to serve or bring to the party. Place them in a slow cooker for easy access and keep them warm.
Meatballs are a great idea for any party. I was thinking about making some Italian meatballs to bring to my sister's house. She invited us over to watch the Steelers' game.
Instead, I thought I'd try making some mini meatballs from a variation of my classic meatloaf recipe and keep them warm in a crockpot while we watched the game.
Making Mini Meatloaf Meatballs
- meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork, veal)
- an egg
- sweet onion
- green pepper
- Italian bread crumbs
- black pepper
- prepared horseradish sauce
- Dijon mustard
- hot paprika
- red hot sauce
- brown gravy powder
- beef broth
This was a great recipe to make ahead.
Tip: Use your hands to grease your baking pan with olive oil and then roll the meatballs. The oil on your hands will help keep the mixture from being too sticky.
Baking the meatballs in the oven first ensures that they are cooked through and removes some of the fat.
I used a regular packet of powdered brown gravy for a sauce. Before tossing the meatballs though I thinned it out with beef gravy and added a little hot sauce for an extra kick.
Substitutions and Tips
- If you can't find ground meatloaf mix you can use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork.
- You can use a jar of premade gravy instead of powdered packaged gravy. However, I'd still suggest thinning it out with beef stock or gravy.
- Make sure your slow cooker has a warm setting. If it doesn't you can just let it heat up on low and then turn it off and cover it with the lid.
- You can serve the meatballs in a bowl instead of a slow cooker and microwave them on a low setting to reheat.
They make a great appetizer or snack. Just the right size for toothpicks to grab and pop in your mouth.
If you have leftovers, which I highly doubt, you can place them in the refrigerator in an air tight container for a day or two and then reheat them in the microwave.
You could even make dinner out of these tasty meatballs and serve them with a side of mashed potatoes. Comfort food at its best.
Meatloaf Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
- 2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 package brown gravy powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon red hot sauce
- Combine meatball ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix with your hands until just combined.
- Roll 1.5 inch meatballs and place on a greased baking sheet with space between each meatball.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Make the gravy in a saucepan according to the package directions.
- Thin with beef broth and add hot sauce.
- Place cooked meatballs in a slow cooker on low.
- Pour the gravy overtop and toss the meatballs.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.