Here’s a great quinoa salad recipe with black beans and a lime vinaigrette dressing. Try this new grain considered one of the healthiest foods in the world.
Have you tried Quinoa yet? I have been trying to cut my sugar intake lately and found this new grain (new to me), quite delicious and fulfilling to eat. Quinoa, unlike wheat, is full of nutritious benefits. It’s considered to be a complete protein, offers hearty healthy fat, and more vitamin E than other grains.
Interestingly, it really isn’t a grain at all. Quinoa has been labeled a grain due to the fact that we eat it like wheat, oats, and barley. However, botanically it falls under the same plant families as spinach, swiss chard, and beets. Originating in South America, this tasty dish became popular when the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations proclaimed 2013 The International Year of the Quinoa.
You can find quinoa in most grocery stores, typically in an off white color and sometimes red or black. It cooks just like rice or couscous. I have been enjoying it as a cold salad but am sure it would be great as a hot side dish.
P.S. While this quinoa recipe was great as a cold salad you could also eat it as a hot dish like this Caprese Quinoa Bake which has all the delicious Italian flavors of tomatoes, basil, and cheese. You may also like this Power Grains Bowl filled with unusual grains for something a little different.
- 2 cups cook quinoa
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 cup diced red and yellow pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- pinch of hot pepper flakes, optional
- Combine quinoa, beans, cabbage, onion and peppers in a large bowl.
- Add chopped herbs, pepper flakes and salt
- Add in lime juice and olive oil
- Mix well
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g