Enjoy this super easy and delicious 7 layer bars recipe. Perfect for a bake sale or any occasion as they come together quickly, resulting in two dozen delicious cookies. And they freeze well too.
If you love the flavor of chocolate and caramel you'll probably love these classic seven layer bars. This recipe has been around forever. Possibly many of you have already made these yummy treats. You may also know them as magic cookie bars. But it seems like when I think everyone has already heard of a craft or recipe I find that many have not.
These are the 7 layers:
- Graham crackers
- Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Sweetened condensed milk
Jumping to the 3rd layer shredded coconut. Many people do not like coconut including me but I don't mind it in this cookie. You can leave it out but then it would be a 6 layer bar.
I use an entire bag of chocolate and butterscotch chips. However, I think the original recipe calls for just half a bag.
Pouring the sweetened condensed milk out of the can does take some time as it's a slow pour. You can use a spoon to speed up the process but it's not really necessary.
Crushed walnuts top off the 7 layer bars. These often end up falling off but I would not skip them. They really add a nice texture to the dish.
Let the pan cool completely before trying to cut the bars. Otherwise, these gooey bars may be a little bit of a mess.
I usually cut this into 24 pieces. However, a friend of mine cuts her up even smaller. It's a good idea because they are so rich half the size would be plenty for a serving.
Whether it's Christmas, a bake sale, or just because you're craving some decadent chocolate, these 7 layer cookie bars do not disappoint. And, they are one of the best bars to freeze for the future, so why not make two pans.
7 Layer Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 1.5 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 12 oz bag
- 2 cups butterscotch chips 12 oz bag
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the melted butter in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter.
- Next, sprinkle the shredded coconut.
- Layer the chocolate and butterscotch chips next.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Finish with a layer of crushed walnuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 24 or more pieces.