Try this simple slow cooker lamb shank recipe. It's the perfect easy meal to share with that special someone.
My brother was telling me how his wife makes the most delicious lamb shanks in the slow cooker. I do love lamb but didn't know it was that easy to find lamb shank in the grocery store. I guess I wasn't looking too hard because it's there. I decided to try making it in a slow cooker for my husband and I and it turned out great.
Making Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks
This is what they look like (above). All you need to do is season them with salt and pepper.
Make a little sauce with tomato paste and some beef broth. I did this because I thought my husband would like the flavor of tomatoes with lamb, and so there would be a little sauce to pour over the lamb at the end.
For the base, I used sliced onion and carrots cut on the diagonal. You could use other vegetables here such as potatoes or celery. I also added some grated garlic because I love the taste of garlic with lamb.
I poured the tomato and broth mixture over the vegetables before adding the seasoned shanks.
A few sprigs of fresh thyme from the garden were placed on top. You could substitute rosemary, parsley, or oregano if you like. Also, if you don't have fresh you can use dried but only use about 1/4 teaspoon as dried herbs are much stronger than fresh herbs.
After cooking on high for at least 4 hours the lamb should be well cooked, fork tender, and falling off the bone.
These slow cooked lamb shanks were served on a bed of mashed potatoes with some of the vegetables, a little sauce, and more fresh thyme.
Isn't it a nice presentation?
Slow Cooker Lamb Shank Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lamb shanks approx. 2 pounds
- 1 medium onion cut into slices
- 2 large carrots cut on the diagonal
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- fresh thyme a few sprigs
- salt and black pepper
- Place the onions, garlic, and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix the tomato paste and the beef broth in a small bowl.
- Add the tomato paste and broth mixture to the vegetables in the crockpot.
- Season the lamb with salt and black pepper.
- Set the lamb shanks on top of the vegetables.
- Place a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Or 6-7 hours on low.
- Serve each lamb shank on a bed of mashed potatoes, rice, or polenta.
- Add some of the carrots and onions around the side.
- Top with some gravy from the liquid in the pot and a little extra fresh thyme.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.