This slow cooker meatball stuffed pepper recipe uses our tried and tested favorite meatball recipe to stuff peppers for a delicious Italian dinner.
I'm sharing a slow cooker, Italian meatball stuffed pepper recipe, with you today with a little help from my husband. This is a nice one that takes a little prep work. However, it easily makes 3 meals for the two of us. I think they taste even better as leftovers.
My husband makes the best meatballs and sauce I've ever tasted. He learned the basics from his Italian mother and grandmother and has perfected it over the years. One of the secrets is adding some green pepper flavor to the sauce. That is what made us think of stuffed peppers in the first place.
So we picked up some fresh bell peppers from the local farmer's market.
We stuffed the peppers with Phil's signature metaball mix and topped them with some crushed tomatoes and let the slow cooker do the work.
What kind of peppers do you need for Italian meatball stuffed peppers?
As you can see we used a mix of bell peppers. They have a nice large cavity for filling and the taste we were looking for.
Sometimes peppers except green bell peppers are fairly expensive so if you are watching your budget don't bother with the bright colored ones. The basic green ones were delicious too.
If you are a spicy pepper lover I could see trying some large poblanos or wax Hungarian peppers. In fact, one of my husband's favorite appetizers is stuffed hot peppers which is similar to this recipe. They are just a lot smaller.
We ended up making seven huge stuffed peppers with pasta on the side. Don't forget to drizzle some of the sauce from the pot on top of the peppers and pasta.
This hearty recipe just might become a new weeknight favorite. They could easily be shared serving 14 people or more, but you'll probably want a whole one all to yourself.
Italian Meatball Stuffed Pepper Crockpot Recipe
- 1 pound meatloaf mix ground beef, ground pork and ground veal
- 2 eggs
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes.
- Cut the tops off the peppers save for later.
- Discard the ribs and seeds.
- Poke a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.
- Fill the peppers with the meat mixture/filling.
- Cover with original pepper tops and place in the crockpot.
- Cover with crush tomatoes.
- Cool on low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve with pasta or rice.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.