This recipe for slow cooker ribs is a breeze to make, using a homemade tasty dry rub, that's sure to please everyone at the table. Just a little time in the morning and you have tender fall-off-the-bone ribs come dinner.
One of the easiest dishes I like to make at home is slow cooker ribs. I used to think this was only something you could get at a restaurant. However, once I tried making them at home in a slow cooker, I was amazed at how easy it was to make this delicious dish.
Just a few minutes of time in the morning, and you have a delicious meal waiting for you at dinner time.
All you have to do is rinse off the ribs and cut them into slabs to fit the slow cooker. In this example, I'm using baby back ribs, but you can use larger ribs if that's what you prefer or can find in the store.
How to Cook Ribs in a Slow Cooker
Step 1. Place the rib slabs standing on end in the slow cooker as shown above.
Step 2. Cook on low heat for 6 - 8 hours.
There will be a large amount of grease in the bottom, which is why I like to stand the ribs up in the pot.
Step 3. Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and place on a serving try.
Step 4. Serve immediately or consider brushing or drizzling barbecue sauce on top of the cooked ribs and placing them under the broiler for a few minutes.
Slow Cooker Ribs FAQs
- If you only have a few hours to cook them, you can try cooking on high heat.
- You'll know that they are perfectly done when they're falling off the bone.
- Serve immediately, or place them on a cookie sheet drizzled with barbecue sauce. Place the cookie sheet under the broiler for 5 minutes for added barbecue flavor.
- Skip the sauce and you have a great low-carb dinner that's so satisfying and delicious.
Homemade BBQ Sauce
When I was a kid we would sometimes whip up a quick homemade barbecue sauce with ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Start with a cup of ketchup in a saucepan and then add in some brown sugar, about 1/4 cup.
Next, add a teaspoon of any mustard you have on hand along with about 1 teaspoon or two of Worcestershire sauce. From there you can play around adding more sweetness or more ketchup to suit your taste. Add water to thin. Finally, if you like it spicy add in some cayenne powder or hot sauce.
You don't have to go out to a restaurant to enjoy a delicious meal like this. Make your own slow cooker ribs at home and your family will love it.
Easy Slow Cooker Ribs Recipe
- 4 pounds approx 2 slabs of baby back ribs
- 1/2 - 1 cup of bbq dry rub seasoning
- bottled barbecue sauce optional
- Clean the ribs and dry thoroughly.
- Sprinkle dry rub bbq seasoning on both sides of the slabs.
- Place the ribs standing up in a slow cooker. Cut to fit.
- Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours or until the meat pulls easily off the bones.
- Remove ribs from the slow cooker and place on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle or brush on barbecue sauce and place the ribs under the broiler for a few minutes.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.