This slow cooker leg of lamb recipe is easy to make and is perfect for something a little different, even for a simple weekday dinner.
Growing up with a Lebanese father we had the opportunity to eat lamb on many occasions. Some people really don’t like the unusual flavor. I get it. I don’t really like the taste of deer and some other gamey meats. However, since I was brought up with lamb I really like it.
Luckily you can buy this nice leg of lamb roast at Trader Joes just about all year long.
I start by inserting lots of garlic into the roast.
Then cover it with a good helping of coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.
Should You Brown or Sear the Leg of Lamb First?
You definitely can and to be honest it tastes great and adds a nice crust. However, when you are in a hurry and don’t want to fuss with the added work, just set it in the slow cooker. It still tastes great.
Depending on the size this roast it will be done in 2 hours or less.
Serve it with some Tzatziki sauce and a side of green beans for a great low carb meal.
Of course, if you want, you could toss some baby or fingerling potatoes right in with the roast and they will taste amazing.
The next day you can slice up the leftovers, and toss in some oregano, thyme, and cumin to make homemade gyros. It’s a win-win with 2 meals for little effort.
- 2.5 pound leg of lamb
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 tablespoon of coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled & seeded, grated & drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Insert a sharp knife all over the top of the lamb roast.
- Place slivers of garlic in the holes
- Rub salt and pepper all over roast.
- Set in a slow cooker on high for 2 hours or until the meat thermometer measures 140 degrees
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 176mg Sodium: 1186mg Carbohydrates: 1g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 48g