These sour cream chocolate cupcakes are moist and delicious. Made from scratch with a rich buttercream chocolate frosting you'll love.
Can you ever have too much chocolate? I noticed that all the cake mix and brownie boxes were sold out at the store. Though they are convenient and you'll find several recipes on this blog that uses box mixes, creating the same thing from scratch is pretty easy.
The one thing that I strive for is something that's rich and moist. This is where the sour cream comes in. It adds a nice creaminess to the cake.
My first experience with this came from making Texas Sheet Cake as a kid. As I write this I realize I haven't made it for the blog. Maybe that's because it's one of those standards everyone knows how to make.
Still, I'm wondering if there are some people out there that have not made this bake sale regular, so maybe I will share the recipe in the future.
The frosting is my standard buttercream frosting that is comprised of powder sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. This one has a bit of cocoa powder added in for more chocolatey goodness.
You could mix it up and using my Chocolate Ganache Frosting recipe instead.
So, if you are a baker, you probably have all of these ingredients in your pantry and can make these yummy sour cream chocolate cupcakes at any time.
After all, chocolate is wonderful all the time, right?
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in one bowl.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add sour cream, egg, water, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fill lined cupcake holders 1/2 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the center of a cupcake.
- Set on a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile make the chocolate frosting by mixing butter, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar together. Add milk and mix well. Add more milk if the frosting seems too thick.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.