Here's an easy and tasty way to use up your garden bounty. Make zucchini latkes for a great side dish, appetizer, or light meal.
When my brother-in-law gives me zucchini I like to use it up in all kinds of ways. Recently I made a chocolate zucchini bread with it and if the zucchini is small and I have several I love to make Kusa, a stuffed zucchini recipe with Middle Eastern flavors.
This time I'm making a latke or zucchini pancake. It's similar to a potato pancake, however, this one is made without potatoes.
It starts with grated zucchini. Try and remove some of the extra water with paper or kitchen towels first.
Next, you need something to bind the zucchini together. I'm using an egg, breadcrumbs, and cheese. A few added spices amp up the flavor.
Because I always have it on hand I used olive oil to fry the pancakes but any vegetable oil would work well. In fact, many vegetable oils have a higher smoke point than olive oil so they may be a better choice.
I served these zucchini latkes with sour cream as a side dish. This recipe could easily be doubled to make several smaller latkes to serve as an appetizer or party treat. In addition to sour cream, you may want to try other ways to top latkes. A tasty way to use all that garden fresh zucchini.
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Blot grated zucchini with towels to remove extra moisture.
- Combine zucchini, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Divide the zucchini mixture into four equal amounts.
- Make a patty with your hands and gently lower it into the hot oil.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until browned and flip.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Remove to paper towels to blot up excess oil.
- Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 525mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.