This zucchini corn chowder is a tasty, easy, and wholesome summer recipe. The perfect use for your prolific zucchini harvest or those that everyone wants to share with you.
Summer is here and anyone who lives in my neck of the woods probably knows someone who is growing zucchini. In fact, if you do, then you know they will be offering to give you some because zucchini is one of the easiest and more prolific vegetables you can grow and it typically is ready to harvest in early summer.
Making Zucchini Corn Chowder
I wanted to make a summer corn chowder with zucchini. So I started with a typical mirepoix which is just diced carrots, celery, and onions.
Many chowders also have bacon in them and use the fat from the bacon in the soup. However, I wanted to keep this one vegetarian so I used butterfat and I grilled the corn to give the dish a smokey flavor.
Chopped up zucchini with broth goes in and simmers until it's soft.
Then add half of the grilled corn kernels before pureeing the entire pot with an immersion blender. You can process the soup until it is 100%. In that case, you will want to add all of the corn before processing. Or, you can leave a little of it chunky which is what I preferred. In that case, you can add in the remaining half of the corn kernels after processing the rest of the batch.
You are left with a rich, hearty, creamy, and tasty soup.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Chowder?
Yes, In fact, that is exactly what I did with the leftovers from this batch and it tasted just as good as the first time we ate it. So, that meant that you can make a pot and freeze it for the winter. How nice will it be to pull out some summer fresh zucchini corn chowder when there's snow outside?
Can I tell you that my husband said that this corn chowder with zucchini was one of the best things I've ever made? I was so thrilled to hear that and I will definitely be making this again very soon.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 3 zucchini diced (about 6 cups)
- 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 32 oz chicken/vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- Rub a little olive oil on the corn and grill on all sides until slightly blackened for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool and cut kernels off.
- Saute onions, carrots, and celery in a large heavy saucepan until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add zucchini broth. Bring to boil and then turn down the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add half of the grilled corn kernels. Process with an immersion blender to mostly smooth.
- Add in the remaining corn and continue to simmer for a few minutes and serve.
This soup freezes well. Just place it in a good well-sealed plastic container and allow it to thaw the morning or day ahead in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.