Enjoy this easy baked peach fritters recipe that uses seasonal fresh peaches for a delicious pastry breakfast item or dessert idea. Though you could fry them, baking the fritters allows the flavor to come through without all the mess and extra fat from the frying oil.
We tend to eat a lot of peaches when we vacation in the south. They are locally grown and so sweet and delicious. During this year's vacation, I tried making baked peach fritters. I didn't want to deal with all the mess from frying so they are baked. You can use this recipe and fry the dough but if you want a slightly healthier and less messy option try baking them.
How Can a Fritter be Baked?
Okay, I am taking some liberty here since the very definition of a fritter requires the dough to be deep-fried. You can fry this batter but the point is that you don't have to and you will still have a delicious pastry.
Making Baked Peach Fritters
This recipe is made like a muffin recipe where you combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls and then mix them together. Also, like muffins or biscuits, you want to mix the wet with the dry together gently until just combined. This will ensure a light fritter that is not tough.
Bakers' Tip: If you don't have a sifter handy you can whisk your dry ingredients together.
Melting the butter in a microwave or on the stove is helpful if you don't have a mixer handy.
You will know that the fritters are cooked when they start to brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the dough comes out clean.
Once you pull them out of the oven add a dusting of powdered sugar for added sweetness, texture, and color.
These fresh peach fritters are perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea. However, they are also a great snack any time of day. Or, make a fun dessert with a fritter and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Yum!
- 1.5 cups ripe peaches diced small
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- In another bowl combine, milk, butter, and vanilla. Mix well
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in peaches.
- Place large spoonfuls of dough on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove fritters from the oven and dust with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.