This delicious cherry cake recipe is made with sweet black cherries in a loaf pan for breakfast, dessert, or a yummy snack any time of day.
Cherry is one of my favorite flavors and every summer I can't get enough dark cherries to snack on. Unfortunately, they only come around for such a short time. So this year I used some of our last bag to make a delicious cake with plenty of cherry flavor.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Black cherries (around 40)
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Organic sugar, demerara sugar, or brown sugar for dusting
How to Pit Fresh Cherries
I used a lot of fresh sweet cherries. Around 40 in all.
Pitting the cherries was definitely the hardest part. However, you can do this pretty easily with a straw. Just push it through the middle where the stem was and it will pop out the seed.
After pitting cut some in half to decorate the top of the cake. The rest can be roughly chopped.
If you have parchment paper you can line your loaf pan (see above). It makes lifting out the cake so easy.
To keep the cherries from sinking try layering them. I've tried the "coat them in flour trick" but I haven't had much success with that idea. However, I found using a lot of fruit and layering some in the middle and a few on top worked pretty well.
I also sprinkled some organic sugar on top before baking. However, you could skip this step or use granulated sugar, demerara sugar, or even brown sugar.
Isn't it beautiful? It reminds me a little of an olive loaf but it tastes much better.
Slice it and serve with a little vanilla ice cream on the side for dessert. Offer it to your overnight guests for breakfast. Or simply enjoy a slice anytime you want.
Cherry Loaf Cake Recipe
- loaf pan 9 x 5
- hand or stand electric mixer
- 2 cups black cherries (around 40)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar, powdered sugar, demerra sugar or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pit the cherries.
- Cut about 6 cherries in half and reserve for the top.
- Roughly chop the remaining cherries.
- Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment and spray sides with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in one bowl. Set aside
- In another large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer for a few minutes until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing between each egg.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
- Add flour mixture in thirds until just combined.
- Fold in 1/2 of the cherries into the batter.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cherries on top.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and spread the remaining cake batter over the cherry layer.
- Place the reserved halved cherries on top.
- Sprinkle organic, demerara sugar, or brown sugar on top.
- Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cherry cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Remove by pulling up the parchment paper.
- Cut and serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.