This DIY beach bag sewing tutorial is so easy. If you can sew a straight stitch then you can make this beautiful bag to carry to the pool or beach this summer.
Here's another tea towel craft. That's right, this pretty tropical beach bag was made from a beautiful tea towel or dishtowel. And it's easy enough for beginner sewers or someone who hasn't used a sewing machine in a while.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I picked up this set of tropical tea towels. You can find beautiful ones just about anywhere. Perhaps you already have one in the kitchen you want to use or maybe you've found some beauties at the local thrift store.
The only caveat is that it needs to be fairly large. Mine measured 20 inches by 27.5 inches. However, many measure larger than this, and they would be perfect.
You could also simply use a piece of pretty fabric. Just make sure that it has good weight like a canvas to make it sturdy enough to hold a few things.
Making a Beach Bag from a Tea Towel
Start by folding the tea towel in half and cutting it into two pieces.
Use an iron to fold over the cut edge twice on each piece. Then top stitch in place.
Next, place the right sides together and sew along the sides and bottom.
Making a Bottom of the Bag
This is the only tricky part. While the bag is still inside out take the bottom seam and match it to one of the side seams shown above. Measure across at two inches and draw a line. Then sew that line. Repeat on the other side.
When you turn the bag right side out you'll get a nice flat bottom for the bag.
Add handles or straps to the inside of the bag on both sides. I used two 26 inch pieces of cotton twill tape. Pin the tape about an inch from the top and three inches to the left and right of the center point.
Sew a square and then an X inside the square to make the straps strong and sturdy.
Fill your bag with a good book, sunscreen, snacks, a towel, and head to the beach. Don't forget your sunglasses.
This is also the perfect bag to use as a market tote or just an all-purpose bag you can use while running errands all summer long.
DIY Beach Bag Tutorial
- sewing machine
- Color coordinating thread
- 1 large printed dish towel approx 20 x 27 or 28 x 28 inches
- 1.5 yards of 1 inch twill tape
- Fold the tea towel in half and cut along the fold.
- Press 1/4 inch of the raw edge on each end with an iron to the wrong side.
- Fold over the edge again for another 1/4 inch.
- Topstitch the folded edges.
- With right sides together pin the two pieces together matching the folded edges at the top.
- Sew each side and the bottom with a .5 inch seam allowance.
- Bring the bottom seam over to the side seam and press it flat with your hands.
- Draw a line from across at 2 inches from the point.
- Sew along the line. This will create a bottom for the bag.
- Next pin twill tape to the bag.
- Cut each piece at 26 inches.
- Pin one end 3 inches from the center point one inch below the top.
- Sew a square along the edges of the tape.
- Then sew an X in the square to attach the strap.
- Continue with the other end.
- Repeat sewing the 2nd strap on the other side of the bag.
- Turn the bag right side out and enjoy.