Try this easy recipe for edible flower cookies. They are made with dandelions and wild violet flowers found everywhere in the spring. These pretty plants are edible and look great in baked goods, salads, and other recipes.
During the spring we see tons of dandelions and wild violets all over the place here in Pennsylvania. Did you know that both plants are edible? Edible flowers have long been of interest to me.
Many people think of these as weeds since they both invade our lawns and gardens but they are also beautiful and you can use them in your cooking or make oil infusions from the plant to create a balm or salve.
You should never use flowers in areas that have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals. Also, don't harvest flowers growing by the roadside.
Making Dandelion and Violet Cookies
Start by picking flowers in a place that you know has not been treated with chemicals.
Rinse them well and let them dry.
Press the violets overnight between sheets of newsprint paper or an old telephone book.
Remove just the petals from the dandelions. Some of the petals will be added to the dough and some will be added on top for added decoration.
A little more than halfway through the cooking process the cookies are taken out of the oven. The pressed violets and some of the dandelion flower petals are glued on top with egg whites. Then the cookies are moved back in the oven to finish cooking.
Removing the cookies part way through the cooking process and adding the flowers helps keep the flowers from turning colors or burning.
Don't they look so pretty and springlike?
Wouldn't these edible flower cookies be perfect for Mother's Day brunch, a garden party, or afternoon tea? How about a bridal or baby shower? So many special occasions all deserving a beautiful treat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of clean organic dandelion flower petals plus more for tops
- Pressed clean organic violet flowers
- 1/2 cup butter softened, 1 stick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Combine butter, sugar, dandelion flowers vanilla, salt, and 1 egg yolk (save the egg white for later)
- Slowly add flour and mix well.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough and slice into 18 cookies.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and use a clean paintbrush and the egg whites to attach flowers to the top of the cookies.
- Place cookies back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
Important Safety Note:
Don't use flowers that are have come in contact with chemicals or pesticides.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.