Make this handwritten family recipe tea towel gift to preserve a loved one's memory and delight your family with a special gift.
My mother was trained as a pediatric nurse, but after she married my father and started having children, she became a stay at home mom. It's been over 20 years since she passed, at the early age of 64, and I still miss her. Recently I pulled out her favorite recipe for Christmas cookies, handwritten on a piece of notepaper. Just looking at her familiar script made me smile. So I decided to make a family recipe tea towel gift for my siblings, in remembrance of her.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there's no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make a Family Recipe Tea Towel Gift
Everyone loves handwritten recipe gifts. To make one for yourself, or for your family, scan the paper copy of the recipe into your computer as an image. You could even just take a picture from your phone, and send it to yourself via email.
Next, you have to reverse the image, so when you iron the paper onto the tea towel the letters will be in the correct direction. I added a festive border to mine. If you like it, there is a template below. All you have to do is insert your recipe.
Printable Holiday Recipe Frame Template
Here's a template of the borders if you'd like to make your own family tea towel.
Click on the image and you will save a Word file to your computer.
Then you can insert the image of your recipe in the middle.
Be careful with the iron. On my first attempt, I kept the iron on too long, resulting in these burned areas.
Make sure you follow the directions, and the image should transfer well. The color of the paper is a slightly darker shade of white but I still think it came out great.
Hang it as a kitchen towel decoration during the holidays or just keep it somewhere special to hand down to the next generation.
As the middle child of five, I know that even if they never make the cookies, my brothers and sisters will love seeing mom's handwriting, and remember how blessed we were to have her as our mother. Why not make some sentimental towels as gifts for your own family?
BTW It's a great recipe too!
Handwritten Recipe Tea Towel
- White cotton tea towel flour sack towels
- Fabric transfer paper
- Wash dry and iron the tea towel.
- Scan the handwritten family recipe into your computer as an image. If you don't have a scanner take a picture with a phone and email it to yourself.
- Import the image into a Word document or other software and reverse the image. This way when you iron the paper onto the tea towel the letters will be in the correct direction.
- Use the template above for a festive border if desired and import your image inside.
- Print out onto transfer paper.
- Follow the directions on the transfer paper and iron the image onto the tea towel. Be careful not to let the iron sit in any one area too long or it may turn brown.