This homemade beef stroganoff recipe is easy to create with fresh mushrooms and a creamy sauce that makes the perfect comfort food dish.
Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish with pieces of beef in a sour cream sauce. It is said to have originated during the 19th century from the influential Stroganov family kitchen. Over the years the recipe has changed and today I'm sharing one made in the slow cooker.
What You Need
- beef stew cubes
- olive oil
- a medium sweet onion
- beef broth
- worchestshire sauce
- sliced mushrooms
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
- egg noodles
Even though this is made in the slow cooker you really need to use the stove at the beginning and end of this recipe. Starting with browning the beef with onions.
I used sliced baby portabella mushrooms but you can use ordinary white button mushrooms. In fact, they are the same thing only older versions. I like them because they are a little meatier and taste great.
The great thing about cooking the beef in a slow cooker is the way the beef becomes nice and tender. You could also achieve this texture in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
Once the beef and mushrooms have cooked in the slow cooker you can make the noodles and the sauce. The sauce is made on the stove in the form of a roux. Sour cream is added at the end to give it that extra creaminess.
Overall, this homemade beef stroganoff is a great hearty comfort food dish that is perfect for a cold winter day but really tastes great all year long.
- 1 pound beef stew cubes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons worchestershire sauce
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 12 ounces of egg noodles
- Saute onions and beef in olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper and continue until browned.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, Worchestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours (low for 6-8 hours)
- Cook and drain noodles.
- Make the sauce by creating a roux by cooking 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of flour in a small skillet or frying pan
- Stir well until slightly brown.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of the cooking broth from the slow cooker.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Add sauce to the beef and mushroom mixture.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 22g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.