Enjoy this fresh rainbow slaw recipe that tastes as good as it looks with a mix of colorful crunchy vegetables and a tangy citrus vinaigrette dressing.
We eat coleslaw as a side regularly. Often it's a bagged mix and I make a mayonnaise based dressing. I also like to make one with lime juice, vinegar, and oil dressing for fish tacos.
However, today I'm craving a tangy dressing with a very colorful coleslaw in a rainbow of colors.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Making Rainbow Slaw
I used green and red cabbage and a couple of different colored carrots. For the dressing, I used fresh orange and lemon juice and some fresh ginger.
You can buy bagged coleslaw and I often do but if you want to control the amounts of vegetables it's really easy to shred your own with a mandoline slicer. You can also do this by hand with a sharp knife but it will take some time.
Of course, these cruciferous vegetables are rich in nutrients and some studies show that they lower your risk for cancer.
All I know is that this bowl is so bright and beautiful. It tastes great and has a satisfying crunchy texture with a delicious tangy dressing I really like.
Rainbow Slaw Recipe
- 3 cups of shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 3 carrots - julienne style or cut thin
Dressing (makes ~ 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice 1 large orange
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut up all the vegetables and toss them together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette dressing.
- Whisk the dressing together and pour about half on the vegetables to start.
- Use tongs to toss the vegetables together.
- Taste the rainbow slaw and add more dressing if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Leave a Reply