Alcohol ink jewelry dishes are easy to create and make beautiful handmade gifts. Caution: you may become obsessed with this creative art.
I’m a big proponent of making gifts for the holidays. I enjoy making them and I think most people enjoy receiving them. Little dishes are always useful in the home. I love using them for my earrings at the end of the day. Originally I thought about using sharpies with alcohol to make pretty dishes but then I ran across alcohol ink.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Alcohol Ink Jewelry Dishes
If you haven’t tried alcohol inks yet, you are in for a treat. I love the transparent look they have, somewhat like very intense watercolors. I played around the many techniques and patterns you can easily create with these beautiful paints, but my favorite (no surprise) is making flowers.
- Wear old clothes and protect your working surface. This stuff is wonderful but messy.
- Clean your dishes with rubbing alcohol.
- Then place one drop of ink in the center and watch it bloom.
- Place the second drop on top. I used the gold for the second drop but you can experiment with different colors.
- Next, choose a color for the petals.
- Place a drop just outside the center of the flower and use the canned air to shoot the ink up and out making a petal.
- Continue around with this color creating petals or add another color, in between, over top, the fun never ends.
- Note: Don’t like what you see? Use a paper towel and the rubbing alcohol to remove it and start over.
- When you are all done wait a day and give it a couple of coats of varnish to protect your masterpiece.
I ended up using a whole can of air to make twelve dishes, including experimenting and starting over a couple of times.
This may be my favorite, but that’s probably because I’m partial to blue.
There were so many combinations to create with the kit I purchased but if you have a specific color combo in mind you can easily find it. For example, this set did not have a red, and maybe you want to make a Christmas themed flower or dish.
I even made one with the ever popular black and gold Steeler colors. We may have a fight over this one.
These will be just one of the fun gifts I’ll give out during the holidays to my friends and family. Now I’m thinking about what else I can make with these fabulous inks.
- One subscriber said that the spray gloss made her ink run. Though I did not have this problem I found another source which uses Rangers Multi-medium to protect the inks. I bought it but had trouble with brush marks so, for now, I’ll stick with the spray but it’s another option.
- My girlfriends and I made alcohol ink trivets. They were so fun but I wanted to mention that one of my friends got a little ink on her sweater. Aerosol hairspray did a good job of getting it out.
- Someone asked if these alcohol ink dishes were food safe. I could not find anything that says they are so I would not use them for food.
- I also would not put them in the dishwasher. If they are used as jewelry dishes they should not need much cleaning. However, you should be able to hand wash them.
Check out the DIY/Projects Page,
for more great project ideas.