This plum cake recipe is made with seasonal fresh ripe plums in a simple batter for an easy dessert that's perfect for a summer party.
Summer Plum Cake - Not Traditional Plum Cake
Today we're baking with fresh seasonal fruit again. This time the dish is made with delicious bright red juicy plums. Not to be confused with a traditional Christmas plum cake which is more like a fruit cake, this one is light and flavorful.
Start with the freshest, ripest plums you can find. Remove the pits and cut them into wedges. These are dark red plums but you can use any kind of plum you like.
Make the batter and spread it into a ceramic or glass baking pan. Yes, this batter is made from scratch. It's kind of dense like a cookie batter but I didn't want to call it a giant plum cookie so I called it a cake. Don't worry it's really easy.
Then you top the batter with your plum wedges. Gently press them into the batter, skin side up in any pattern that you like.
Other Fruit Substitutions
Any kind of plum or thin-skinned fruit will do.
Bake until golden brown.
You can also dust the final masterpiece with a little powdered sugar in keeping with typical pastry goodies but you don't have to. Simply dig in and enjoy.
Fresh Plum Cake Recipe
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe plums pitted and cut into wedges
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add the lemon juice to the plum wedges, set aside
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 11 baking pan.
- Spread evenly.
- Set plum wedges skin side up into the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.