This delicious apple olive oil cake is simple to make and tastes great for breakfast, dessert, or a snack any time of day.
Apples make the best baked desserts and I've made many on this blog. Today I'm sharing an apple cake with olive oil. Like the olive oil chocolate chip cookies I made using olive oil isn't much different than other vegetable oils.
Some make say that the flavor is too strong. However, this recipe has a good deal of cinnamon in it and you could always go with light olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil.
I found these beautiful cosmic crisp apples at the grocery store. They are almost too pretty to peel and chop for this recipe but I used them anyway.
You could use any type of apple in this recipe. However, I do think a crisp eating apple will hold up well for the topping. Honey crisp and granny smith apples would also be good choices. Both are tart but also have plenty of sweetness for this yummy cake.
Peel and chop the apples. Then toss them with ground cinnamon and brown sugar. I like the flavor of brown sugar and apples but if you want you could use white sugar or skip the sugar entirely.
You could also substitute, cut back on the cinnamon and add other tasty spices such as allspice, clove, nutmeg, or ground ginger to this recipe.
Prepare the dry ingredients in another bowl and whisk them together in a medium bowl.
Next combine your wet ingredients including olive oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk in a large bowl.
Combine the flour mixture with the olive oil and sugar mixture and then fold in about 1 cup of the chopped apples with a rubber spatula.
Pour the cake batter into a prepared pan. I used 10 inch pie pan. You could also use a springform pan or a regular cake pan.
Finish by placing the remaining chunks of sweet apples on top of the batter with a little extra in the center.
Have a slice in the morning with a cup of coffee, later with afternoon tea, and dessert after dinner with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Apple Olive Oil Cake
- hand mixer
- 10 inch pie pan
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups apples peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together olive oil, granulated sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the olive oil and sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Fold in about 1 cup of the chopped apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 10 inch pie or cake pan.
- Distribute the remaining apples over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle and seeing if it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.